Sunday 18 January 2015

OUT & ABOUT - Goodbye 12 Bar Club... end of an era

A very sad week which sees the demise of the 12 Bar Club on London's Denmark Street. I spent most of my 20's in and around that venue and am very sorry to hear of it's enforced closure to make way for the new Crossrail redevelopment. I've had the great pleasure of meeting many amazing folks through the club, from the numerous monthly Cushy Productions events that my good friend Suzanne Rhatigan organised and sang at - to my time volunteering for Resonance FM when it first started out on Denmark Street. 


The nomadic panther returns...


Some of my favourite one off gigs there over the years have been the very packed Joanna Newsom gig, the not so packed secret Martha Wainwright gig, James Yorkston, the Rivulets, Elani Mandell to name a few... and some of the regulars whom I have seen grace the very wee stage time and time again and whom I have very fond memories of are... it goes without saying Rhatigan and the extended posse, Michael J Sheehy, Emma Tricca, Vince McGann....What a treat to be able to spend endless years blagging in for free and hanging out with some of the most amazing musicians from around the world... oh, and the incredible Andy Lowe, promoter extraordinaire... You will be sadly missed 12 Bar Club & Denmark Street! 



Joanna Newsom & 12 Bar Club Management, 2004. Photo: Karen Thompson.

No comments:

Post a Comment